[thelist] Which Monitor Size Should I Use?

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Sun Dec 10 22:24:45 CST 2000

> >   I have always used a 15 inch monitor for web site design.  I was
> > considering buying a 17 inch monitor.  Does anybody know which monitor
> > size I should use for web site design and graphic design?  If
> the pixels
> > are set the same (ie. 800 x 600) would the web site turn out different
> > with different size monitors?

Pixels are pixels. On a smaller monitor of the same resolution, image-text
will appear smaller. If you run dual monitors, you can constantly have 2
representations of a site in the design-phase available. ie, looking at the
same design on a 21" and a 15", you can find a good compromise for text
size.

I suggest that anyone doing Web site development invest in 2 good monitors
and something like a Matrox G400* Dualhead (that can handle 2 monitors at
once). You should read an article I wrote for evolt about this exact
situation:

	A wonderful world of multiple monitors
	http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=1714

I currently use a 21" and 15" combo. However, for my next machine, I will be
going with 19" and 17" which I think is a far more cost-effective solution.
If you have less money, try 19"/15" or 17"/15". If you have more money, buy
one of the killer 21" Sony's with monster resolution...

Here are two old screenshots of me working with 2 monitors (a resolution of
2560x1280):

http://isaac.triplezero.com.au/crap/cfstudio.jpg
CFStudio and MSN messenger chat window on the left - 2 browser windows and
ICQ on the right. This is generally the scenario when I'm coding a site.

http://isaac.triplezero.com.au/crap/pshop.jpg
Photoshop and palettes. You can see how I keep my main design view with
guides switched on for layout purposes, and use it also for zooming around.
But the right-hand view of the same image is always kept at 100%, without
guides, enabling me to edit at the pixel-level, but watch the actual results
without flicking zoom modes. There's still room to keep an eye on emails
arriving in Outlook2K also.

Since then, I've started using a tiny freebie application called VirtuaWin
which brings Linux-style virtual desktops to the Windows-world. It is fast,
customisable, and extremely stable (read: no crashes in the fortnight during
which I've been using it). Anyway, I use it to give me 3 workspaces
(equivalent of 6 screenfuls) - 1 for Outlook, Winamp, MSN Messenger, some
file listings, and a horde of browsers open to various news sites, the 2nd
for CFStudio and browsers showing sites in development, and the 3rd for
Photoshop. They're currently stacked, but you can set it to any style of
grid you'd like (ie, 4 horizontal screens, or 9 stacked vertically if you
want). I definitely recommend it.

isaac
                                           isaac: triple zero digital
                                           dynamic internet solutions
                                           e: isaac at triplezero.com.au
                                           web: www.triplezero.com.au
                                           mobile phone: 0414 758 000

* The G400 can also hook up to your TV via video-out. I've tried hooking the
computer up to use my 68cm TV as a mirrored display, and using my prologic
system instead of my usual stereo for audio. Playing Quake3Arena on the
resulting setup is *alot* of fun. ;)