[thelist] Which Monitor Size Should I Use?

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Mon Dec 11 11:45:39 CST 2000

At 05:29 PM 12/11/2000 +0000, you wrote:

>At 12:21 11/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Actually I believe that is a problem with the dual head G400, not the
> >operating system.  We just went through that here at work with
> >workstations that had dual head G400s, and it was solved by replacing the
> >G400 with two separate video cards.  Under Win2k, they are now running in
> >separate resolutions on each (different sized) monitor without a problem.
>
>But the point of a G400 Dualhead, is so that you don't HAVE to get 2
>graphics cards!
>It worked an absolute dream on Win98.

Fair enough, I was just pointing out that under Win NT/2k it's not an OS
problem, it's a video card problem with the G400.  Your message seemed to
state that the operating system was the limiting factor.

You said, referring to dual monitors: "don't bother with NT4 or Win2K
unless you've got 2 monitors the same size, as it doesn't support dual
screen sizes.", when in fact it's a problem with the particular video card,
or more likely the WinNT/2k drivers for that video card, which are produced
by Matrox, not Microsoft.

I was only trying to clear up that misconception so others don't draw an
incorrect conclusion.  Maybe in time, correct NT/2k drivers will come out
for the G400 to enable multi-resolution across different monitors with the
card.

--- -- -
Seb Barre - seb at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto