[thelist] International Roaming - Reccomendations?

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 16:11:26 CST 2000

Hi all,

Lucky me is off for a three week holiday at xmas (Singapore,
Australia and Bangkok). I'm going to be bringing my powerbook with me
as I have some work to do while I'm away (and I'll also be writing a
travelog, but that's another story), but I'm not having any luck
sorting out a connection to the 'net.

Unfortunately my current ISP (http://www.madasafish.com/) isn't a
member of GRIC (http://www.gric.net) or iPass (http://www.ipass.com/)
at the moment. I've put a request in that it's something they might
want to look into offering, but that doesn't help me in the short
term.

I'm trying to avoid signing up with another ISP as I'm extremely
happy with what I have, but so far, everything I've seen involves
paying for a fixed minimum term.

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips where I could start
looking?

This is the sort of thing that I'm looking for:

1: No fixed term - It's only for three weeks, I don't want to be
stuck with a 1 year contract for a service I'm not going to use.

2: Cheap (ish) - Cost doesn't really matter, but it would be nice if
it didn't cost the earth.

3: Mac friendly - Or at least someone that supplies all the relevant
info without having to install any software.

TIA.

G.