[thelist] Must a webmaster know databases???

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Wed Dec 13 10:06:30 CST 2000

A webmaster does get asked to learn many skills--html, JavaScript, vbscript,
cold fusion, db structure, SQL, and any number of other skills.  While the
list seems long, a developer must be at least familiar with the each of the
tools they use so that if the supporting parties are not available to do
their part then the web developer can muddle through it and continue.  If
you are in an organization that does have people to do the various tasks,
it's okay to let them do their job, but nearly impossible to rely on them
entirely.  People do, after all, get sick and the job still must go on.  A
lot is asked of any developer, especially web since we use so many
technologies.  In my opinion, the webmaster should be a jack of all trades,
a master of one or two.

-joshua