[thelist] Must a webmaster know databases???

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed Dec 13 10:25:36 CST 2000

> In my opinion, the webmaster should be a jack of
> all trades,
> a master of one or two.

Here here.

I think that many "webmasters" become "web developers" out of necessity
rather than to increase their marketability.

I don't think it's a question of whether you need to have database or web
development skills in order to be a webmaster.  I DO believe it will help
answer the question, "How GOOD of a webmaster do you want to be?"

Also, I'd like to point out that there is tremendous power in being able to
leverage your company's existing "data capitol", and in being to build and
expand that resource. And the technologies used to achieve this have to come
together somewhere, why not let yourself become the catalyst for that
mechanism?

Lastly, a word of advice.  Take your database guy, the VB (Access) guy, or
whoever, to lunch.  Then ask if it's ok if you pick their brain.  I'd run my
database schemas past the dbguy before you implement them, and the VB guy
might be able to help you out of a bind with some logic errors you might
encounter.  They probably won't mind, and chances are they'll be flattered.
Helping people is a real ego booster for them, so everyone benefits.

Just my two centavos...

Seth

Seth Bienek
Solutions Development Manager