[thelist] javascript, input type=image and mouseovers

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 06:17:03 CST 2000

><question type=rhetorical>How come I can hack perl (and enjoy myself!)
>but Javascript gets me everytime?</question>

<answer>
Because Perl only has to work on one platform (your server), while a script
must work on lots and lots of platforms (all browsers).
</answer>

>As an aside, the reason I was slow on the <NOSCRIPT> tags is 'cause NN
>2.0 doesn't support them, but _does_ support scripting, and last time I
>analysed the access log a small but significant percentage of users were
>using NN2, so I don't use them.  Am I making life too hard for myself by
>trying to be that backwards compatible?

Yes, I think so. I take care that NN2 users can click the links, submit the
forms etc. but otherwise I don't do anything fancy for them. If NN2 users
wish to see a state-of-the-art site, let them download a better browser.

And, yes, James' solution is of course completely correct, the only drawback
is that it doesn't work in NN4. For the moment I still keep NN4 users as a
target audience (though I hope it won't be necessary any more in a few
months).

ppk