[thelist] getting position of non-positioned elements

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Dec 14 10:29:44 CST 2000

Karen,

> When I asked about getting the select element's position, I was thinking
> that maybe I could just put another input box in exactly the same place &
> swap their visibilities.  However, this is harder than expected, as when I
> create the new element, it is inserted wherever and pushes everything else
> along...  No good!

	My apologies -- I don't fully understand your problem, and I can't
really take the time to wade through it. From the above paragraph, I'm
wondering if using a higher z-index value for the new element would solve
your problem; or if using "display: none" instead of "visibility: hidden"
would do it, since setting display to "none" does not reserve space for the
element in the document flow, whereas setting visibility to "hidden" does.
	Sorry if I'm totally off-kilter...

James Aylard