[thelist] Site transfer - Hosted on a mac - going on Linux -HELP!

Stef taz at hy.cgocable.ca
Fri Dec 15 14:11:13 CST 2000

  Hi dudes (& dudettes) ! :o)

	Ok. I have a customer that would like his site transfered from a mac
server   & File-MakerPro DB to . . . a linux+appache+mysql setup.
His site is on a MAC server, & is connected to filemaker pro database.

Now. This is my first site transfer & would be interested in hearing from
others experience, for any details I could miss out on. Any help / comment
welcomed, onlist or offlist. I don t have many details as of yet on the
site itself, what are the scripting languages for a Mac environnement?!?
Would it be easier to just keep the site in a MAC environnement?

I figure if I stay in Mac environnement, I  basically just have to change
the links, database configuration on the dynamic pages,  pop a redirection
script on the old host and bingo. 1 days work ? Maybe 2 , if we account for
Murphy's law?

If, on the other hand we go for the mac to linux option,  I guess THAT
means re-writing the links in the static pages, re-create DB on mysql &
update dynamic page configuration. A little more work, but the site would
be in a PhP/MySql environment, like he desirer.
I'm interested in keeping this customer, & would like to lay out both
options clearly, the work involved, with pricing fees included for both
solutions, if possible. I love a challenge but wouldn t want to tackle
something too big for me. Thanks  again, fellow E-Voltians.

Offline/online help/comments welcomed. stef at cfusions.com

<tip>
I read an article that changed my way of writing tables. People often
design tables the way they write: horizontally, from top to bottom. Often
times your layout can be simplified a great deal by thinking 'vertically',
and giving your vertical cells fixed width. You still have to follow the
rules for cross-browser consistancy but.. having a simpler design makes
this process a LOT easier.
</tip>