[thelist] HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Fri Dec 15 18:14:05 CST 2000

Jacob Stetser wrote:
> Try
> GET / HTTP/1.0
> (two returns, please)
> or
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: evolt.org
> (two returns, please)
>
> Ahh, just tested it myself -- the second one works. Evolt is
> virtualhosted (multiple sites on a single IP address) using HTTP 1.1
> connection protocols (in other words, browsers that don't provide the
> Host: header won't get the right page)

Interesting - so the meta question is this - how do browsers decide what
to provide to servers? Do they do any negotiation and decide to speak
one or the other? I'm not asking because I want to read the HTTP spec -
but in layman's terms - how do browsers and servers decide what to speak
to each other? Can a server speak either/or/both for the same domain?

	- Joe "the dangerously curious" Crawford
--
Joe Crawford <mailto:joe at artlung.com>
 * I am a Web Designer and Developer;