[thelist] Site transfer - Hosted on a mac - going on Linux -HELP!

Winfried Huslik winfried at huslik.de
Mon Dec 18 14:09:21 CST 2000

Hi Stef,

You didn't mention what your site and database consists of and what the
objetives are, but be careful! This could be a job of weeks - depending
on what he is currently doing with the database and expecting to be done
in the future.

I'm going through this process now - not because the cusomer wanted it,
but for the nice new things that can be done with PHP and MySQL (on a
server at a big ISP).

Moving the layouts would be the easy thing, programming a database is
something else. It makes no difference what system you come from or move
to. SQL is not FileMaker, even when used with WebStar. If it isn't for
(security, performance, availability, traffic, or other)-reasons he'd be
better off to stick to his current configuration. Never change a winning
team! If FileMaker can do the job, why change?

Winfried Huslik