[thelist] Common Fonts

Eric Hehl eric at thaitec.com
Tue Dec 19 01:05:33 CST 2000

Jake,

Thanks.  This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. Actually, I
was interested in the font names, but this little nugget of info is
obviously worth its weight in gold.  Mental-sticky note has now been pasted
inside my brain.

Eric

For the love of God and all that is readable, please do not use Arial
if you wish your site to be usable on Macs. (I've said this before
but I bring it up again because it bears repeating). Any Mac that has
Arial installed also has Verdana, so you can safely use Verdana
instead.

Why not use Arial? It's too thin and tall and on the Mac at lower
sizes Arial emboldened does not look any different from Arial
regular. So those nice bold headlines you come up with? They look the
same as everything else in Arial.

So use Verdana, Helvetica, san-serif as your choices if you want to
be xplatform.

Thanks! This has been a public service message brought to you by me!

Jake

>These days, you can usually get away with Arial, Times, Courier, and
>Helvetica. Quite often people have Verdana as well, as it's a free
>one usually installed with just about any MS product (including
>browsers).
>
>I have no idea about Linux, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)
   icongarden.com || littleblueeasy.com :: emailme at icongarden.com