[thelist] 2 pc's 1internet connection?

Liz Lawson lizlawson at charitycards.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 06:52:15 CST 2000

Firstly, Windows98 has Internet Connection Sharing built-in, although I've
never used it. Try the microsoft site or a search for "Internet Connection
Sharing" or windows +ICS.

Beynd that, there is plenty of software available. Some simple, some
including the kitchen sink (intranet hosting, local mail-server and web
mail, access restrictions, moon on a stick, etc)

At work we use AnalogX proxy (free from www.analogx.com ). As it is a proxy
server, you need to set up internet applications on the client machines to
connect through a proxy. Where this option is not available, we use SocksCap
to handle the proxy connection  as recommended in the analogx documentation.

At home I use commsocks, which uses NAT, and is transparent to the client
applications ( www.linkbyte.com ). I find the connection from the client
machines less reliable, but unlike a traditional proxy I don't have problems
using things like IRC. It's ok for home, but I wouldn't want to be the one
everyone in the office shouts at when it has one of its funny turns (its not
free either)

internet connection sharing tutorial:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/ics1.html

HTH