[thelist] "Content is king" - still true?

Rachell Coe rachell at coeville.com
Wed Dec 20 18:16:32 CST 2000

I have a question for you: If you are bringing in so few hits every month,
why wouldn't you want to beef up your content first before attempting any
e-commerce solutions?  The reason why I'm asking this is that I got the
impression from your post that this e-zine for women is run and written by
men.  If this is true, then your first order of business would be to do
some market research on your women viewers to see if they actually like
your e-zine.  Would they recommend it to their friends?  Would they come
back often to see what's new?  Do they feel the e-zine gives them original
and sound information?

Now if I'm wrong about your content being written by men, I apologize.  But
even so, I think that some market research to find out if your information
is interesting to women viewers and provides them with information the
other women e-zines don't would be incredibly valuable.  I just keep
thinking that to try and sell e-commerce before you have the traffic would
be like an unpopular night club trying to sell t-shirts.  If people don't
want to go to the club to dance, why would they want the t-shirt?  Your
time and money would be much better spent on content solutions and
promotion then on e-commerce -- at least until you build your traffic
substantially.

Good Luck!