[thelist] Password Protection-Multiple Tries

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Thu Dec 21 17:10:39 CST 2000

At 11:19 AM 12/21/2000 -0800, Anthony Baratta wrote:
>At 06:49 PM 12/20/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Any ideas out there regarding how to offer multiple opportunities in IE?
>

>IE is "thoughtfully" remembering your wrong username and password for you
>and resubmitting automatically for you. You need to turn this off. Since
>its a client side "feature", your basically hosed since its out of your
>control.

I don't know if I agree with this.  In every other website I've seen that
has a password protection dialog, IE gives multiple tries.  Yet on this
site it fails once and that's it.  Now, if the same _client_ behaves
differently, without modification, on other sites, how would you conclude
logically that it's the client?

I would suspect that it's the server that is outputting a reponse that IE
doesn't understand (and therefore does not know what to do with).

No matter who's at fault (in terms of whether the message *should* be
understood be IE or whether it's the server that is sending a non-standard
response), I think the problem lies in adjusting the server.  If you can't
get it to work in the browser that 87% of surfers use, you will have a
problem.  I doubt there is no fix for this, it might just require a little
work and the cooperation of your web host.

I also should add that I tried to telnet to that webserver and send it some
GET commands manually and it printed out some wierd message that I wasn't
using a browser that understood proper web protocols.   If the webserver
doesn't know how to respond to basic GET commands, then I think that's a
problem in itself.  Do you know what type of webserver this is running on?

--- -- -
Seb Barre - seb at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222