[thelist] IE and windows apps

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 07:15:00 CST 2000

> want to have links to word, excel, outlook etc, from the main html page.

I knew that rung a bell, so when I read the inestimable head lemur's
frightening solution ;o) I rooted out some old magazines and found a very
simple way to do it.

I read about a reader's suggestion for doing this in the Helpdesk section of
August's PCPlus issue 168 (so it *may* be on the PCPlus website -
http://www.pcplus.co.uk).  The reader, Nick Cheeseman, was launching IE4/5
at boot and then using the capacity to launch Windows apps from
iframe-loaded directories of shortcuts to create his own desktop
replacement.   His own explanation was at:

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~njc1/wbrow.htm

>From my quick perusal it seems that the way it works is this:

1. Create a directory containing shortcut links to the applications you want
to launch

2. On your web page put an iframe tag which points to that directory e.g.:

<IFRAME SRC="c:\shortcuts\" width="100" height="300"></IFRAME>

A demo folder was included on the PCPlus coverdisk, which (as instructed) I
copied to my c:/root and then opened the demo page... and it works... with
single-clicking on my system - IE5.5 Win98 - (Nick seems to think it needs
double-clicks).

Haven't checked the above URL or played around with the code at all yet... I
wonder if it can be done with normally framed pages and not i-frames?

HTH

George