[thelist] Netscape 6: Doctype Declarations Can Break Table La youts

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Dec 22 17:56:37 CST 2000

 >> This is a known bug within Netscape and Mozilla... Take a look at the code
 >> at disobey.com/index.shtml to discover the workaround...
 >
 >Sorry -- I checked your site, but couldn't find anything related on
 >the page you cited, and didn't want to take the time to do a page-by-page
 >search. Do you have a more-direct URL?

Did you view source on the page? That's what "take a look at the code"
means... you'll see the following:

<!--<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">-->

Basically, although it breaks the w3c validator, add a commented out
doctype as the first line. Doesn't harm other browsers, and NS/Moz will
read the second line only.

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/