[thelist] Weblog Specifications?

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Wed Dec 27 16:44:56 CST 2000

I assumed this question would have already been answered, but I guess I get to
chime in ;-)

> I am looking for a specification ( or feature list) for a weblog.
> My concept is is for an intranet based WebLog where  I could keep track of
> downtime incidents on our servers. When a server has to be rebooted, an
> entry could be made in the weblog for that server
> that included the symptoms.
>
> Over time, we will accumulate sufficient data to analyze and perhaps come up
> with a root cause of the problems.
>
> So many of the public weblog site that I see, concentrate on
> appearance and on news feeds. Yes I want the pages to be attractive but
> primarily functional.

To me, you have a simple solution: Blogger. I know what you're thinking,
because I thought it too. But, Blogger is really the best WebApp I've ever
seen. There is everything from automatic FTP to entry bookmarklets.

> In order to get a project off the ground, I have to submit some sort of
> estimate. So if I can begin with a realisitic list of pages/functions I
> could start guessing how long it would take to implement.
>
> I do know that there are user pages and admin pages.

Yes. You would only have to create the design of the blog and insert the
appropriate Blogger tags in the correct place.

> At least one site I visited, had a very fancy storey editor that
> allowed users to select font, do bold etc.  How necessary is that
> feature?

Blogger is completely customizable.

> The development environment here is NT, SQLServer and ASP.

Environment doesn't matter. All dynamic parts reside on the Blogger servers
and are FTPed in HTML (plus any dynamic stuff you put into the Blogger
template) over to your server.

The hard part is already done. And it's free. They have a professional version
if you don't want the "powered by Blogger" button on your blog.

Let me know if you want more info, or go to http://www.blogger.com

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com