[thelist] Digital Cameras revisited, and a tip

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Dec 28 12:18:26 CST 2000

Well, if you guys remember, I was shopping for a digital camera back at the
end of November. The consensus concluded on something like the Olympus
D340L. I had my heart set on that exact camera, and happened to mention it
(in passing) to Santy Claus .... Santy brought an Olympus D490. Needless to
say I love it!

<tip type="simple optimization">
trim your loops down to the nitty gritty. Don't do *any* operation inside a
loop that you don't have to. Overly simple example with a catch
(pseudocode):

Before
------
for i=0 to 100
  pig = formvalue(pig)
  pigcounter = pig + i
next

After
------
pig = formvalue(pig)
for i=0 to 100
  pigcounter = pig + i
next

--Now I know some of you may be thinking this:
for i=0 to 100
  pigcounter = formvalue(pig) + i
next

will be an acceptable optimized loop; however, accessing the formvalue value
a hundred times is expensive (slower) compared to setting it to a temp
variable.
</tip>

sgd
--