[thelist] xhtml conversion conundrum

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 29 15:50:08 CST 2000

> From: "Ron Jourard" <jourard at criminal-lawyer.on.ca>
>
> I am converting my website from HTML to XHTML 1.0. I am finding that the
> background images are not coming through and that the left nav bar is not
> flush left or flush with the top of the screen. Does xhtml not recognize
> background images or side and top margins? If so, is there a workaround?

in your HTML document, you define your background image and
page margins in the <body> tag...

in your XHTML document, you don't (which is how it should be)...

however, you still need to declare that styling somewhere, and that
would be your CSS document... your current CSS doc (style3.css)
doesn't have anything set for the <body> tag...

for example, try adding:

body	{	background : #ffffff url(images/foo.gif) ;
		margin-top : 3% ;
		margin-bottom : 3% ;
		margin-left : 5% ;
		margin-right : 5% ; }

...to your CSS... or whatever styles suit your fancy...