[thelist] CF and Win98

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Sat Dec 30 09:30:08 CST 2000

on 12/29/00 5:23 PM, matthew garrett at matthew.garrett at snet.net wrote:

> I'm thinking of trying CFExpress or CFStudio on my little Win 98 machine,
> for testing/building/de-bugging. Either way, I need to set it up as a server
> also.
>
> The options I know of are:
> 1) Apache
> 2) Personal Web Server
> 3) NT (oh, it's 2000 now - right?)
>
> I would love for someone to tell me that installing and maintaining Apache
> is not that big a deal, and I should go for it. However, I am not a total
> propeller-head, and am usually Mac-centric.

Ok, I'll do it -- installing and maintaiing Apache is not that big a deal.
There's nothing to the install on Win 98 -- apache.org has binaries that
install just like any other Windows program with a nice GUI.

Maintaining Apache can be a bit opaque at first, but as soon as you
understand that about all the options you'd need to set are found in one
.conf file, you'll see that it really isn't very hard. All you need to do is
open up a text editor and read the comments in order to figure out how to
make changes to your installation.

And if you're a Mac guy, you may be interested to know that Apache is
installed by default on OS X. I'm running the OS X public beta, and Apache
works great. FYI -- I've also got PHP installed as a module, and MySQL. So
my entire development environment is totally portable (on my G3 powerbook),
and I don't have to deal with bad Windows ports.

(In interest of total disclosure, Apple is one of my clients.)

-j