[thelist] detecting acrobat reader activex component on IE

BART CARLUCCI, BLOOMBERG/ NEW YORK ACARLUCCI1 at bloomberg.net
Fri Jan 5 16:44:12 CST 2001

Hi, I've been trying to detect "Acrobat Control for ActiveX" activex component
but am running into difficulty. As far as I know, the only way to detect the
presence of this control is to instantiate it using vbscipt with something like
CreateObject("pdf.pdfctrl.1"). But the problem I have is that the control
launches a "splash graphic of Acrobat". I don't know how to instantiate the
control without this graphic appearing!! Any help would be awesome..thanks.

p.s. pdf.pdfctrl.1 is the ProgID for "Acrobat Control for ActiveX". If anyone
knows of a different activex control which can be instantiated in Internet
Explorer for Acrobat Reader...please let me know.