RV: [thelist] Web work in London?

Jesus Gonzalez Gorriti Jesus.Gorriti at iconmedialab.es
Mon Jan 8 11:58:26 CST 2001

I work and live in Spain but I have been
in London for a while and have a few friends
working in net companies over there, so I guess
I can speak a bit about it.

Life is VERY expensive. And salaries ain't that
high.

Example: You can get a 30k pounds a year salary if
you work as Web Developer/Designer. Before taxes. :)
And expect to pay around 200-300 pounds a week for
renting a room in a shared house. And London houses
tend to be small.

Food is damn expensive too as well as most free time
related activities such as restaurants, cinema, etc.
A tshirt tends to cost around 15 pounds.

On the other hand London is a great place. There
is always something happening somewhere. (www.timeout.com)
There are shops that sells things you would never ever
found somewhere else, pubs all around, great discos,
awesome museums (the new Tate Modern by Herzog and De Meuron
is breathtaking, and Norman Foster lives in that city for feck's
sake). You will love London. And you will probably end hating it
to. An american friend of mine compared it to New York (I've
been to NY, but never lived there).

(I am secretly in love with London, really)

How about this info for a starter?

Jesús Gorriti // Art Direction Designer // IconMedialab Spain