[thelist] IIS file: Icon_: wtf is it?

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Thu Jan 11 12:57:30 CST 2001

So I'm moving this old site from Mac WebSTAR to NT IIS.  And I'm finding
that the site is packed with more crap than my mom's attic.

I'm trying to clear out some of the dusty cobwebs.  The IIS web directory
is mapped so that I can get to it on the network, without FTP.  But I'm
trying to trash these old directories, and several of them contain these
files (which I didn't see on the Mac server, only on the IIS server) called
"Icon_".  They are represented with the generic windows icon, but grayed out.

According to my Windows machine, the "Icon_"  files cannot be deleted.

What are they, why are they there, and what do I do about it?

Thanks,

Erika