[thelist] owed tip

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Jan 11 15:32:31 CST 2001

I owe..

<tip type="Unix and partition fun">

Just spent a half hour banging my head against an emtpy beer bottle and
thought I'd spare some of you the same heartache:

Just got a gee-whiz new 45GB disk for one of our servers at work. Popped
it in the box, spun it up, and tried to create a single partition for it
using fdisk(on linux). No matter what kind of options I tried, the disk
would not show up larger than about 10GB.

Turns out fdisk sucks.

So use cfdisk instead. Creates 'better' partitions acorrding to the man
pages, and it can create partitions as large as 72GB(biggest disk I had
on hand to test with).

Maybe that was the day I missed back in rookie unix administrator class
or something..

</tip>

.djc.