[thelist] re: IE4 installation

Mark Gregor mark at velir.com
Mon Jan 15 11:38:31 CST 2001

Hi,

I had this problem (running ME and wanted IE 4 alongside the preinstalled IE 5).  Below is what the helpful folks at Microsoft said (it basically can't be done without a dual boot).

It's really crazy that Microsoft doesn't allow this kind of thing.

If anyone *does* figure out a way around this (e.g., the manual overwriting of the IE COM object, etc.), please let us know!

-----------From Microsoft Technical Support-----------

As you have indicated, IE5.5 on Windows Me cannot be uninstalled because
it is embedded  in Windows Me.  There is no method that can install
IE4.x on Windows Me because there is already a higher version of IE on
your computer.  The Operating System will detect it and not allow you to
install the lower version.

The only way to get IE4.x working alongside IE5.5 is: if you have
Windows98 or Windows95 which has IE4.x installed on your computer,
upgrade your IE4.x to IE5.5 with the compatibility option enabled.

You can see the detailed information about it in the following article:

<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/3/11.asp
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/3/11.asp> >

Please notify that this article is only suitable for Windows98,
Windows95 or Windows NT4.0.