[thelist] Spectra on W2K

Michael Buffington mike at price.com
Tue Jan 16 12:31:31 CST 2001

Does anyone (Ray?) have any experience installing Allaire's Spectra 1.0.1
eval on Windows 2000 (pro or adv).

I've tried installing it on 3 different computers, with a whole array of
differences, but the things in common between them are W2K, CF 4.5.1 sp2,
and advanced security enabled.

On all three comps the package is installing fine, but when it comes to
running the webtop, it get's messy.

The most common errors I'm getting have to do with the advanced security
(which is installed and enabled).  I've deleted and recreated the sc1
security contexts as Allaire suggests, completely uninstalled and
reinstalled CF and Spectra.  I've made sure that no remenants of Spectra
exist in the registry.  In step 4  (the security test) the CFAUTHENTICATE
tag either has a problem, or the security test simply reports that Advanced
security should be enabled.

On a 4th computer I've tried installing the single user version, and the
first step within the webtop I get an error (cannot connect to datasource
cfaobjects, which is properly registered in my cfadmin, although it does not
verify). I've messed with the Sybase (forget the name, reminds me of
Enterprise Manager for SQL) and I cannot connect to cfaobjects (don't know
the password).

I'm considering trying to put it on a NT 4.0 box as soon as I'm done writing
this so that I can get rolling with Spectra.

I'm an advocate (perhaps fanatic) of ColdFusion and Allaire, but it seems to
me that a steeply priced product such as Spectra should be a little more
robust in it's install.

Michael Buffington
mike at price.com
(714) 556-3890 x222