[thelist] a weird question

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Wed Jan 17 15:43:36 CST 2001

Hi, Sarah --

>Well, they got payed a pretty pretty price to do and
>did a horrible job. I know that on my own I could do a
>much better job and I offered to redesign and I'm
>going to work on that. The question is, they pay me
>less than I probably should get and I'm doing them a
>huge favour by doing this. Do you think I'm entilted
>to some sort of raise or bonus?

What did they hire you to do? I mean, is the purpose of your employment the
redesign? If they hired you to do x and you offer to do y, and the value of
y is higher than x, then you should make that part of your offer. "Hi, you
just hired me to do x, but I'm really good at y. I'd be happy to help out
with y, but I'll need some recompense for it."

Does the company feel that they got schtoinked by the developers? Were they
bemoaning the fact that they didn't get what they paid for? If so, then you
have great leverage.

Do you have a portfolio that you can show them? More leverage.

Aardvark's idea of having it added to your job desc is a good one, too. Some
companies love that attitude, and some don't. It usually depends on how
iron-clad the heirarchy is.

If they see it as a temporary gig, then you should negotiate a bonus of some
sort. Whatever you do, don't underprice yourself just to get the work. If
they already feel like they got ripped off, they're going to be extra
sensitive which could get sticky, and you don't want an underpaid, sticky
job. Yech.

>I'm a lot cheaper than
>the company they used before. What do you all think?

Good luck,

David
-----
home: http://home.gci.net/~mccreath/