[thelist] ASP troubles - IIS or me?

Daniel McMurray mcmurd at ccaa.edu
Wed Jan 17 16:53:31 CST 2001

In my infinite wisdom, I thought to myself the other day, "Hey!  You
should learn a little ASP!"  I didn't have many options except to agree
with myself, so I looked into it.  As it turns out, Win2k _really_ wants
you to have IIS installed to do this sort of thing.  No big deal, though.
I installed it, and configured it as best as I could.  I then saw that IIS
came with a little ASP tutorial.  Thinking this was a good place to start,
I jumped right in.  It wanted me to do the "Hello World" thing, which was
not a big deal.  However, I saved the document as a .asp file and tried to
load it (through http://localhost) and I get a "Page cannot be displayed"
error.  As it turns out, all .asp files get this error, whether I create
them or not.  HTML pages load just fine, though!

So is this a problem with IIS (such as a configuration thing) or am I just
smoking the bad stuff?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Dan