[thelist] Image ready 3 on mac waaaaay slow?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jan 18 05:55:31 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Annie

I still run IR1 - is producing code for MouseOvers *really* a core
competence for an image application?

IMO bundling IR with PS was a big big mistake - just as they were
doing that, I'd managed to get the bank I was working for to approve
IR as the intranet image app given to all the depts in place of the
sheer awfulness of the 'image editor' [sic] bundled with FrontPage.

To get that quality for about 70 UKP (corporate prices) a throw was
fantastic. But when Adobe turned around and said "You'll have to
lay down 500UKP a seat for Photoshop", they lost maybe a thousand
licenses over a 3 year period.

Not clever at all. Their reasoning was that everyone who had IR had
PS as well, not realising that that was PS users buying IR for the web
capabilities, and that there was a whole market who didn't care about
the PS extras, and if they thought that corporate users were going to
allow 90% of the ImageStyler functionality then they were wrong.

I did try Fireworks, but found it too expensive and too difficult to
use if you've used Photoshop.

Oh, also, Illustrator/Freehand don't compete with PS for print work -
you can't do photo-based work with a vector tool.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org