[thelist] scrolling news tickers

A. Erickson ilsa at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 14:53:31 CST 2001

I have had clients in the past who have redesigned their website and I have,
during the process, performed a gentle tickerectomy. I hate news tickers.

Generally, a company that uses a news ticker of, say, their last five press
releases can't just stop at one ticker. No, they are the ones who need
something else on the page spinning and looping and maybe some dhtml effects
and wouldn't it be cool if.... etc., etc.

I find news tickers to be a) distracting, b) hard to read, let alone click
on, c) buggy.

Do you agree with me?

What I want to know is is there a good reason to use a ticker? If you go to
a site with a ticker, do you bother to read through all of the items and
actually *use* it? Are there successful and useable tickers out there?

Any thoughts supporting a pro-ticker mindset would be appreciated.

- Amanda
Performing tickerectomies with pride since 1997.