[thelist] Scroll Box Filled with Icons Representing Files (Si milar to Windows Explorer)

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Jan 18 16:35:31 CST 2001

Gregory,

> Someone suggested using the <IFRAME> tag, but my understanding is this tag
> is only supported in IE, not NN.

	The <iframe> is supported by IE 3+ and Netscape 6. Another option is
to use a <div> with its CSS overflow property set to either auto or scroll.
This would work in IE 4+, Netscape 6, and, with a bit of effort I assume,
probably in Netscape 4.x as well.
	The iframe approach is simplest in some respects because the
<iframe> contains a separate document which you can populate with the
results of a form submission. With the div, you would most likely use
innerHTML in IE 4+, or a DOM-compliant approach in IE 5+ and Netscape 6, to
populate the div (although if the possible options for what will populate
this div are very strictly limited, you could create several pre-populated
divs, and only display the particular one that contains the content you want
to display).
	You could also set up some kind of nested frame design that would
allow greater backwards-compatibility, but that would depend on your design
constraints.

hth,
James Aylard