VMWare for testing multiple platforms (WAS RE: [thelist] Has anyone worked with dual IE versions?)

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Fri Jan 19 01:32:31 CST 2001

> VMware allows you to use any Intel OS on top of Windows NT 4.0
> Workstation,
> Windows 2000 Professional or Linux.  So in theory, your WinNT/2K/Linux box
> could be running OpenBSD, SuSE Linux, RedHat Linux, Debian Linux, Windows
> 95, Windows 3.11, BeOS and Solaris - all under VMware.  Which would allow
> you to test a huge variety of browsers.  Cool, eh?

Would that enable you to then run Win98 on an NTFS partition, and get USB
support (since NT doesn't do USB)?

While I'm posting this - has anyone had any luck whatsoever in getting
consumer USB-devices (think digital camera) to connect to an NT box? I can't
dual-boot cos AFAIK Win98 won't touch NTFS (plus rebooting just to download
images would suck).

(Got Win2K laptops arriving soon, but it'd be nice to have a solution in the
meantime.)

Any ideas?

isaac

isaac: triple zero digital