VMWare for testing multiple platforms (WAS RE: [thelist] Has anyone worked with dual IE versions?)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Fri Jan 19 09:03:31 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "isaac" <isaac at lists.evolt.org>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 6:06 AM
Subject: RE: VMWare for testing multiple platforms (WAS RE: [thelist] Has
anyone worked with dual IE versions?)

> > VMware allows you to use any Intel OS on top of Windows NT 4.0
> > Workstation,
>
> [snippage]
>
> Would that enable you to then run Win98 on an NTFS partition,

no - VMware creates its own virtual disks, and there is no interoperation
between the underlying OSes disks and the virtual OS VMware "disks", unless
you enable networking and use file sharing to see each other ...

> and get USB support (since NT doesn't do USB)?

I don't know about that one - I haven't tried VMware with a USB-aware OS on
an USB-enabled workstation ... I would say no though :(

--
 _ __   ___ _   _ _ __ ___  |      William Anderson - www.well.com/~neuro