[thelist] scrolling news tickers

Richard H. Morris richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 10:31:43 CST 2001

Jake Stetser [jake.stetser at headhunter.net] proffered the following:

That site loads very quickly. I presume he's using some form of SSI for the
tables at the bottom, but I reckon it's a bit too "in yer face" for my
needs.

> On the other hand, there's the minimalist approach. What are the chances
> people really NEED to know all of the other pages on the site at the same
> time? Don't you think they'll probably be looking for a certain specific
> topic? What about a short list of "related topics/pages" higher up with a
> site map at the bottom? Script a little solution to record which
> navigation
> elements are used more frequently.. :)

At present the - very minimalist - navigation moves you back to the main
site index (top levels only) or to the sub-topic you're in. The idea is the
ability (whether used or not) to move from any page to any page with the
minimum of effort and clutter.

> I understand the dilemna... I'm not sure what's better either.. ubiquitous
> one-click availability or tightened focus.

Quite.

Richard. H. Morris, Web Designers Limited
~~ http://www.web-designers.co.uk ~~
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me
          than a full frontal lobotomy"