[thelist] a weird question

Johannah Hubal johannah at hubal.com
Fri Jan 19 10:50:43 CST 2001

I've found that the best way to up your salary is contracting. I did
contract work for a year (5 contracts, ranging from 3 weeks to 4 months
each) and more than tripled my salary when I took a full-time job. Happy
happy Johannah. :) Without the contracting, I never would have acquired the
skills (both hard and soft) to land this delightful job where I will stay
for the conceivable future. I recommend contracting to everyone who will
stand still long enough. When I started, I took an HTML editing full-time
job (learned HTML over the weekend) for peanuts. I worked there for a year
and then started HTML contracting, using every opportunity to learn design.
Then I found a job where I can use my bits-and-pieces knowledge to do a
little bit of everything. And now I have that lovely 'Web Designer' title
that I craved. <grin>

--Johannah.
Boston, MA