[thelist] SQL Server auto-increment

sarah disaster7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 17:55:31 CST 2001

I've been using Oracle for basically everything, but
we're switching to SQL Server because Oracle is pricey
and an overkill. I've been doing some research on SQL
Server to seek out problems with the transition and I
found one: Auto-incrementing numbers. Does SQL Server
have something like this? In Oracle I would just make
a sequence and have each new entry bump up one with
nextval. Even Access has that nice autonumber feature,
but I can't find something similar in SQL Server.
Anyone know of something, or a nice easy way to do
this?

Thanks a lot,
Sarah