[thelist] re: help! need market statistics!

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 21 02:25:31 CST 2001

> From: "Richard H. Morris" <richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk>
[...]
> This only covers visitors to Browserwatch's web site and thus is about as
> reliable as the stats for any of our sites.
[...]
> Ditto.
>
> By this, I mean that it's unlikely you'll get any real idea of likely
> browser stats for your web site until you start getting some stats....

i was assuming, based on the subject, that the original request
was for general market statistics... that's what i based my reply
on...

however, if you want stats for your own site, obviously your own
logs are the best place to go...

those numbers don't always catch the info you want, however, so
you might want to think about ways to expand the data you
capture... as such, i offer up a tutorial on capturing the screen
resolution, bit-depth, and browser window size of your 4.x+ users:

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
http://evolt.org/article/Real_World_Browser_Size_Stats_Part_I/17/2
295/index.html

part 2 of the article shows the numbers i got for my own site... and
it's a simple matter to adjust the code to capture more data...
http://evolt.org/article/Real_World_Browser_Size_Stats_Part_II/20/2
297/index.html