[thelist] RE: aardvark- Client Payment Percentages

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Mon Jan 22 14:03:31 CST 2001

aardvark,

|at work, we bill hourly against a capped project fee (well-defined
|scope)... that way the client has a nice itemized list, and we can
|more effectively audit our time...

This is a good thought, and I have done several projects this way, actually when
I was first starting out-I did them all that way, since I was not good at
estimating time). I also give the details of what I did hourly. So maybe I
should go back to this method.

I would kind of say "well, we can do it for definitely under this amount" and if
the client agrees that is good for them, then I would keep track of my hours and
charge them whatever the total was. If it was over their "amount" I simply ate
it and learned from experience--of course unless they added more work during the
project.

I too, have a bit of a problem with the 30/30/rest thing in a contract, only
because of the upfront charges possibly being more than 30% of what I actually
need to purchase at the start of the project--say a store script or something.
So when I did this a year ago, I would finagle that 30% if I needed to. Another
problem is when the site is done, I only have 60% of the total of the price,
it's a bit confusing for the client sometimes, among other less definable
misgivings I have with it.

I'll give that some thought..how do you word something like that in your
company's contract (not word for word of course, but something that explains it
better)

Thanks,
Gina