[thelist] localhost Apache virtual server config problem

Nick Koleszar koleszar at netcomuk.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:53:38 CST 2001

Probably just another question that proves a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing.

I have successfully run Apache on my Win 98 laptop for ages, plus Coldfusion
and SQL server. A while ago, I added 3 virtual servers to the config,
running on ports 8080 8081 8082 so I could build more websites on my laptop
before uploading.

Ever since I added the virtual servers, I get error messages from Apache and
it takes about 15 seconds to start responding to http requests when I start
Apache. The errors only occur if I start Apache when I am not dialled-up to
the 'net.

The error message is:

"[_date_time_] ]error] Failed to resolve server name for 127.0.0.1 (check
DNS) -- or specify an explicit ServerName"

I dimly remembering messing about with my network settings at some point
(just to make things even easier to diagnose) cuz I think I was messing with
wireless LAN or something and this may have something to do with it.

Here's some excerpts from httpd.conf:

Listen 127.0.0.1
Listen 80
Listen 8080
Listen 8081
Listen 8082

--cut--

ServerName localhost

--cut--

<VirtualHost localhost:8080>
DocumentRoot "C:/Websites/1_website"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Websites/1_website/cgi-bin/"
<Directory "C:/Websites/1_website/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

any ideas? does this look basically okay?
I can't really be bothered with running a DNS on the laptop as well....

Nick Koleszar   koleszar at netcomuk.co.uk