Big, Static Sites (was Re: [thelist] synchronizing remote/local)

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Jan 22 18:12:31 CST 2001

 >I have two words for you: institutional inertia.

[more...]
And don't get me wrong - automation is a good thing, but I still strive for
staticness. Take Gamegrene.com, and NetSlaves.com. I wrote the CMS script
that maintains both those sites. They're updateable from the web, and
create all the wonderful little things they need to. And the script can be
applied tons of other places (one person is using it as a simple guestbook)
- but still, I deal with static sites only.

Poorly configured and optimized static sites don't really suffer
slashdotting (I should know - Disobey has been slashdotted twice, and
Gamegrene slashdotcommented once). I have noticed however, that php backed
sites, cgi backed sites, and CF backed sites suffer far more frequently...

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/
http://www.gamegrene.com/