[thelist] Dreamweaver 4 - Can't Edit in Code View

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Jan 22 19:08:34 CST 2001

At 1:58 PM 1/20/1, Mark Gregor wrote:
> Whenever I try to edit in code view (via F10), I can't seem to copy
> or cut'n paste anything.

F10 seems to indicate you're in the HTML Inspector, rather than DW4's split
views.

Key qualifier: can never-ever copy/paste anything in any document? (If it's
only one document, then that points to a different class of mystery causes
than if the problem always appears.)

For the answerable "What changed in DW4's clipboard ops?" then look at the
split view and the new "Paste as HTML" command... because there are now
more pasting options, and because so many never saw the old "Paste as Text"
item in the Edit menu, DW4 tries harder now to sense which type of way
you'd like to paste, depending on the content on the clipboard and the
window which has focus. If you'd like an unusual case, though, then the new
"Paste as HTML" command in the Edit menu can help. (This wouldn't affect
inability to copy, though.)

Just on a pure hunch I'd wonder whether you were in a particular document
which was a template instance... people usually describe the symptom
differently then, but that's one fairly frequent mystery cause that's
possible behind a symptom presentation like the above.

jd