[thelist] News.com gets a facelift

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 23 09:16:31 CST 2001

> Thought I'd let you know that CNET's News.com has just undergone a total
> redesign. Here's their explanation for it:
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-4562916-0.html?tag=goto+hell :)
>
> Perhaps a few of you would care to comment on what you think of it?

The frontdoor looks awkward and cramped. They're obviously shifting (and for
good reason) to use non-standard sizing for advertisements (often a
different layout and size each time), but there's still a lot more they
could've done with it.

On one page I got a comparatively large flash ad which was ugly and used
weird scrollbars. To scroll down, you mouse-over the arrow at the *top* of
the scrollbar, and to scroll up, the arrow at the bottom. WTF?

It seems that they're using frames. I have NFI why.
Meta refresh (as before) of 300. Bleargh.

Probably one of the few big-site redesigns that has gone to a non-liquid
format (there are arguments for liquid and ice, so this is an observation
rather than a judgement).

isaac

isaac: triple zero digital
dynamic internet solutions