[thelist] How long is a usability piece of string?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Tue Jan 23 09:23:31 CST 2001

Martin,

Jakob Nielsen, a usability expert (although controversial for his strong
opinions!) says you can do fine with 5 people for user testing. There's an
article about it at his site at http://www.useit.com.

Personally, I try to get as many people as possible, usually at least 5-10
or so, depending on how lucky I get for people to do this. I also try to
get people of varied levels of experience using the Internet to attempt to
get a good cross-section. If it's a specific target, then I tend to tune in
closer to the type of target model.

If we discover bumps to adjust, then I do another round after I've changed
things, too, of course.

I'll be curious to hear what others do. What do you think is reasonable?

Warmly,
Shirley
--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.