[thelist] Dreamweaver 4 - Can't Edit in Code View

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Jan 23 16:35:31 CST 2001

At 4:20 PM 1/22/1, Mark Gregor wrote:
> Yep, as far as I can tell, whenever I'm in the HTML Inspector, I can't
> copy and paste reliably within that window.  If I have something already
> in the clipboard, it will paste into the document, but it pastes as if
> I was pasting *into the visual editor*, not the code inspector.  As
> an example, if I have the text ASDF ASDF in my clipboard and I enter
> the code inspector (via F10) and try to paste it above the <head> tag,
> it pastes it into the body area.

Sorry, Mark, I'm still not sure I'm unambiguously visualizing what you're
seeing there.

That "pastes into the visual editor" phrase makes me wonder whether you
have (a) the main window set to only Design View (ie, no split-pane); and
(b) are pasting into the BODY in the HTML Inspector. These windows are
synched together when pasting, and when you paste into one you'll see the
change in both. This phrase makes me wonder whether you're seeing the
normal and expected thing.

Then again, if you have the split-pane view open, pasting into the Code
View will only refresh the Design View when you give focus back to the
Design View, or when you click the "Refresh" button in the Property
Inspector. With this split-pane viewing, then calling up that additional
representation in the HTML Inspector and pasting into that will inherit the
deferred rendering of the split pane view itself.

(Sidenote: In DW4 I usually keep split-pane view, and have set my HTML
Inspector to cover the entire screen. This way I can always look at both
markup and rendering, but can get a full-screen markup view at the touch of
a key.)

Then again, if pasting, there are "what's on the clipboard" things to
consider... if we've got tags on the clipboard then that's different than
having untagged text there. This may be a key part of the problem.

Then again, if I paste the literal "ASDF ASDF" above my HTML block, then
that invalidates the entire document... it's no longer HTML. But I can't
get from there to seeing it appear somewhere in the BODY, makes me wonder
if there's some focus involved...?

Sorry I'm washing out here... can't quite find common ground yet...?

jd