[thelist] Drop down menus w/o layers & Printable pages

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Jan 24 07:57:31 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Biddy

To be able to cleanly produce printable versions of pages
(like the evolt site has) you need to do 2 things:
1) Make sure the colours & fonts are simple, high-contrast,
   printable fonts (specified in pt, not px). CSS will pretty robustly
   achieve this for you, if you can ensure that the user is delivered
   the right stylesheet, which will usually involve a server-side
   solution.
2) Remove navigation which is redundant in the print version -
   the main non-content info you need is enough to identify the
   place it's been printed from (ie a logo or some such) and a link
   to get back to the on-screen version. CSS won't robustly do this
   for you (it can do it, but only for high-end browsers). You'll need
   to do this server-side.

(you can also do nice things like add a URL citation after each
link, but that's a really fun and interesting challenge)

What both requirements imply is a separation between content
and presentation layers, and yes, a db/template system like ASP
or ColdFusion (which is what the evolt site runs on) will do this for you.

However, it's not absolutely necessary to run a db-backed site.
Apache's XSSI can also achieve print templating for you, as it
has conditionality capabilities. Take a look at
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/cv/cv.html
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/cv/cv.html?printable
which is all run with XSSI, looking for a querystring of 'printable',
and doing if/then/else conditionality.

When I get a moment, I'll write a tutorial on it, but if you look back
in the list archives, I quoted the vital code in answer to a question
about swapping stylesheets yesterday.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org