[thelist] Dangerous Colors

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Wed Jan 24 10:18:51 CST 2001

aardvark wrote:

|yep, but ever worked with an ad agency?  two things always give
|them cramps -- lack of text control, and lack of precise color
|control... they'll look at something on every monitor in the office
|and even if it's great on 9 out of 10, they'll still ask you to fix it...
|this is from experience with over 10 agencies...

Groan..I hear ya! I've been there myself. Ad agencies are the most difficult
(and picky) people to work with. They don't seem to understand the monitor
difference concept, even if you explain it to them :) I don't have direct
contact with them, just through firms that I freelance with. I wish I could tell
them to print out one of their "for print" designs on an inkjet, and look at it.
The inkjet of course is not capable achieving the color and clarity quality of
their expensive color printers, so if they gave their print to thousands of
people to print themselves, the design is going to have  color shifts, poor
quality, and or vertical or horizontal banding, etc. Maybe then, they'd get it
:)

|if anything, I've found most web developers don't
|give a rat's left kiester about web safe...

I used to be strict about web safe, and if I can still accomplish the color
scheme I want/client wants with web safe, I will still use it. However, I'm
getting real tired of it. I seem to be getting clients who want earthy tones,
and (pretty) pastels. Try getting that out of the 216 web palette ;). In that
case, I ditch it. Sometimes, if I can get something that looks decent, I will
try the www.colormix.com site, but it's almost a waste of time.

Gina