[thelist] css wackiness/span bad?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 10:34:50 CST 2001

> From: "Suzi Woollatt" <suzi at swill.co.uk>
>
> Not wishing to sound contradictive in any way, but I have found [probably
> because I've missed something along the way;o) ] that I have needed to use
> this tag when applying styles to forms, so that Notscape can apply them
> beyond the first form object. E.G. row of checkboxes with accompanying text
> beside them. To get the text to show in the desired style after the first
> checkbox needs span tags thus:

yes, NN4.x is renowned for dropping styles halfway through... i
hate that passionately... fortunately, i've been doing a lot of
intranet/textranet apps so i've been free of that...

as for designing for the general web, i'm still stuck using the good
ol' fashioned <font> anyway... so <font face="arial,geneva,sans-
serif" size="2" class="bodyText"> will at least degrade back to the
version of Navigator 3 one of my clients still uses, and the inline
'class' still makes it better for CSS-friendly browsers...

so, in that case, i use <font> when i shouldn't... you do the same
with <span>... you are using it to account for browser wonkiness...
just always keep in mind that converting that stuff will be annoying
down the road...

> Is there a better way of achieving this to keep NN (&others?) happy?

heh... uninstall... otherwise, no, not really... at least with <font>
you are catching the older and non-CSS browsers as well...