[thelist] Petition to bring CF ot Mac OS X

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 24 23:48:31 CST 2001

erika,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Erika Meyer
:
: Excellent.  Here's a wee anecdote.  I went
: to one of those free Cold Fusion seminars a
: couple of months back & asked the one of the
: presenters about the possibilites CF for Mac
: and was told by the presenter that there
: would "never" be such a thing, "because Mac
: has lost the market share."
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one thing you've gotta understand about the guys that do the presentations
(with the exception of ben forta) is that they're usually semi-technical
sheep informed of the companies direction from self-serving non-technical,
narrow-sighted sales people.  either that or the ones giving the
presentations are those same non-technical, narrow-sighted sales people.
either way they usually spout off the official company position on commonly
asked questions, which may or may not reflect unofficial company direction.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: It pissed me off.
: I hope he was dead wrong.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

why'd it piss you off?  he's pretty much right.  i could understand pursuing
an editing environment for the mac, but a server for the mac?  seriously?!?!
no really.  maybe os x which is essentially bsd.  surely you don't mean
something else mac as a server.

there's a reason you don't see many mac servers around anymore - cause there
are other things available that do the job much better.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I really REALLY want to see Allaire products
: that a Mac compatible.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

why?  besides the editing environment, what reasons are there to make
allaire products mac compatible?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I find almost all apps to be easier to use on
: the Mac (including MS office products) because
: the Mac GUI windows (as opposed to Windows GUI
: windows) are (for me) more easily malleable.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

seeing as how there is *no* gui for cf server i'm not sure i see any rhyme
to your argument for it to be built to work on a mac simply because the mac
gui makes more sense to you.

(desperately trying not start an os religious war here and hoping that the
mac evangelists on the list can see that i don't have issue with macs in a
workstation role, only in a server role.  you know, the whole "time and a
place..." / "best tool for the job" sorta thing.)

thanks,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development