[thelist] Javascript help please

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 25 03:58:31 CST 2001

Hi all,

I'm coding a client-side Javascript application(?) which has gotten
away on me.

It's designed to hold a SMALL database of employee names and info
using cookies. Yeah, I know there's probably a better way, but I
don't know any other language to code it in.

I'm using prompts for the user to input changes to the data, with
a constructor function which looks like this:

function Employee(name, age,title,salary){

                                   this.name = name;
                                   this.age = age;
                                   this.title = title;
                                   this.salary = salary;
                                   this.promote = promote;
                                   this.addWorker=addWorker;

}

My problem is in passing the string variable from the prompt
to tell the script WHICH employee's information to change, so
that I can eventually pass the info to the promote function
like so;

charlie.promote(new_title, salary_increase);

How do I use eval() or any other method to pass the string from
the prompt, AND change it into a variable for the promote
function?

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Duncan O'Neill