[thelist] RE: News.com gets a facelift

Madhu Menon madhum at trisoft.net
Thu Jan 25 05:50:31 CST 2001

> Didn't I read something recently about how it was CNET who actually
> custom-built what Vignette bought and renamed StoryServer? If so, I find
it
> kinda funny that they're now re-rolling a new one. (Although I guess their
> goals and internal publishing processes may have completely changed since
> those earlier days.)

Yes, indeed it was CNET who developed the initial version of StoryServer.
The software was called Prism at CNET. Then Vignette (in which CNET has a
stake) bought the product and developed it as a full-blown system. See an
early CNET article about this at: http://www.builder.com/Business/HowCnet

To answer your question, Isaac, yes, CNET has evolved quite a bit in the
last few years. They're now more than just a news site. I guess they need
something a little more customised to their exact requirements. BTW, thanks
to its acquisitions in recent times, CNET is also a mish-mash of operating
systems and platforms (e.g., the main site runs on Solaris using Vignette,
the Web services part runs ASP on NT, Help.com uses Perl on Solaris, MySimon
uses server-side Java). Somehow they all seem to work together :)

I'm afraid that's all I'm allowed to tell you. (NDA and all that)

Regards,

Madhu
PS: I'm off on a mini-vacation till Tuesday, so replies to future mail may
be a while in coming.

<<<   *   >>>
Madhu Menon
Head - User Experience Group
Trisoft Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Global Software Services

Work: http://www.trisoft.net
Personal: http://madman.weblogs.com

------------------------DISCLAIMER--------------------------.
The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure/(s) or
attachment/(s) if any) are privileged and confidential material of Trisoft
Systems Private Limited and should not be disclosed to, used by or copied in
any manner by anyone other than the intended addressee/(s). If this E-mail
(including the enclosure/(s) or attachment/(s)if any ) has been received in
error, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure/(s)or
attachment/(s) if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of Trisoft
Systems Private Limited.